Self Storage Tips
FOLLOW THESE TIPS AND MAKE YOUR STORAGE EXPERIENCE A GOOD ONE.
If you’ve never used a storage unit before, you may want to take a moment to consider how you plan to pack and store your items. Whether you are storing with Tiger Self Storage or some other storage facility, throwing your items haphazardly into your storage unit can have dire consequences. With that being said, here are some simple self storage tips that will help ensure your items remain in the same shape you stored them in.
1. The first step you should take before packing your unit, is inspecting your unit for any defects (holes in roof, walls, bad door..ect) which might invite the outside elements into you unit or jeopardize the security of your stuff. If you find any issues, be sure to alert the manager immediately so that the problem can be addressed.
2. Come up with a game plan for how you plan to pack/stack your unit. Dont be afraid to write a map of where you intend to place your things (i.e less used items like furniture in back).
3. Use furniture covers, tarps or moving pads to keep items off the floor of the unit (this will help prevent any moisture damage from occurring). If possible, you can also place your items on pallets to provide some additional clearance between the floor and your items.
4. Do not use printed newspaper to pack your items with. Doing so could result in the ink from the paper smudging off on your items.
5. Store more frequently used items at the front of your storage unit. This will prevent you from having to go through all other stored items to find them. Also, if you happen to store any seasonal items, make sure they remain accessible.
6. To maximize your storage space, use space inside drawers and larger appliances, such as stoves and refrigerators, to store small items: towels, linens, toys, etc.
7. Label all boxes on all sides for easy identification.
8. Consider getting wardrobe boxes for clothes you are storing that usually requires a hanger.
9. Consider using airtight plastic containers instead of cardboard boxes for storage. This will help prevent your items from absorbing moisture through the boxes. If you do have to use cardboard boxes, make sure you use new boxes and not old boxes from grocer or convenience stores.
10. Check on your items frequently, especially as the weather changes, you’ll want to make sure your storage unit is holding up against the elements. If there are any issues (leaky roof, water coming in through door) let your manager know immediately so you can remedy the problem before it causes any significant damage to your stuff.
* For an extra added layer of security, Tiger Self Storage recommends utilizing a disc lock to secure your unit.
In addition, Tiger Self Storage advises all tenants to get their stored property insured. If you already have homeowners or renters insurance, you might be able to expand coverage to cover your items in storage. You can also purchase an insurance plan via our self storage facility, either way, please make sure your items are insured.